Visa and migration fraud activity poses a significant threat to Australia’s visa and migration system and to Australia’s national interests more broadly. A prominent feature in visa and migration fraud is the increasing involvement of serious organised crime groups who seek to exploit the Australian visa and migration system to facilitate criminal activities onshore.
Our Criminal Exploitation of Australia’s Migration System Special Operation aims to identify, investigate and disrupt serious organised crime involvement in visa and migration fraud.
This special operation also delivers intelligence to support an enhanced understanding of vulnerabilities within the migration system and its impact on Australia, and to establish what legislative, regulatory or other vulnerabilities are being exploited or circumvented, and reinforce them to prevent ongoing exploitation.
We achieve our aim for this special operation by:
- enhancing the strategic intelligence picture, detailing the nature and extent of the threat of visa and migration fraud
- identifying systematic vulnerabilities being exploited by serious and organised crime groups engaged in visa and migration fraud, to harden policy/operational settings and strengthen existing regulatory frameworks
- developing a detailed understanding of the extent, profitability and drivers of visa and migration fraud and identify the sectors where it occurs and the types of crime it enables
- identifying highest risk criminal networks engaging in visa and migration fraud to inform intelligence collection and operational activity
- coordinating and cooperating with partner agencies to disrupt high level criminal networks engaging in visa and migration fraud by facilitating target development activities and investigations
- applying our agency’s coercive powers to identify new targets.