For detailed information on applying for jobs at the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC), including the employment screening and security clearance requirements, please read our applicant information kit:
To be eligible to work at the ACIC, you must must meet the following requirements:
- Citizenship—applicants to the ACIC must be Australian citizens (unless there are exceptional circumstances).
- Security assessment—applicants must be willing to undertake a security assessment to the required standard.
- Medical examination—applicants must be willing to undergo a medical examination if applicable.
- Redundancy—applicants who have received a redundancy benefit from an Australian Public Service (APS) agency or a non-APS Commonwealth employer generally cannot be employed as ongoing employees until the end of their redundancy period.
Addressing selection criteria
To apply for a job with us, you need to respond to the job's selection criteria. We have a 600 word limit per criterion unless otherwise stated.
It is important to provide evidence to back up your claims against the criteria. Where possible use examples of what you have done, how well you did it, what you achieved, and how it relates to the requirements of the job you are applying for.
The STAR model can help you form your answer.
- Situation—set the context by describing the circumstance where you used the skills or qualities and gained the experience.
- Task—what was your role?
- Actions—what did you do and how did you do it?
- Results—what did you achieve? What was the end result and how does it relate to the job you are applying for?
For help addressing selection criteria in the public service, refer to the Australian Public Service Commission’s publication Cracking the code.
Submitting your application
You must submit your full application, including your statement of claims against the selection criteria and your CV, through our Online eRecruit website by the specified closing date.
Please note we do not accept late applications, unless we have granted an extension.
If you have any issues submitting your application, please email our recruitment team email@example.com
If you are shortlisted, you may be required to participate in:
- an interview with a selection panel to assess your capabilities against the selection criteria
- workplace assessment psychometric testing
- an assessment centre, where appropriate (this involves completing a range of activities to demonstrate your capability against the selection criteria).
We will assume you are available for interview from the date the application closes, unless you notify us otherwise when you submit your application.
The selection panel may decide that interviews are not necessary and make the decision to fill the vacancy based on written applications and referee reports only.
It is not necessary to provide a written supervisor/referee report with your application unless specifically requested in the selection documentation. However you should provide contact details for your current supervisor and one other referee.
Employment screening and security clearance requirements
You must be willing to undertake a security assessment to the requisite standard, including:
- employment screening process specific to our agency
- psychological assessment
- security clearance process by the Australian Government Security Vetting Agency.
All our staff must obtain and maintain a minimum Negative Vetting Level 1 security clearance.
Unsuccessful applicants are advised by via email. If unsuccessful, you can ask for feedback from our recruitment team once the process is finalised, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org