The trafficking and importation of illicit firearms are serious concerns for Australia. We address illicit firearms through:
- selectively investigating firearm trafficking offences and collecting intelligence on those matters
- providing information and intelligence to support the development of government policy
- hosting national firearms databases, including the National Firearms Identification Database (NFID) Public Website
- delivering the National Firearm Trace Program.
We produce intelligence to improve understanding of:
- firearms supply methodologies used by serious and organised crime groups in Australia, and systemic vulnerabilities the groups are exploiting
- the illicit manufacture of handguns
- the role of firearm trace analysis in determining the means by which firearms are diverted to the illicit market.